My stuffed turkey experience!

A couple of days ago Alec's parents arrived from New Jersey, they will be staying here until Sunday.
Today is Thanksgiving, and even though it's not a Jewish Holiday, we decided to prepare a fancy dinner, to have some quality time together.
So there comes the challennge: we bought a huge Chabad Shechita turkey, and as per tradition, turkey must be stuffed and baked...
I had never prepared stuffed turkey before, and the sight of the huge animal almost scared me: will i be able to bake something edible? And what do i even put inside a turkey?
I took upon myself the challenge, and took out my Julia Child cookbook, seeking for help...
And there she is, reassuring and resourceful, with a few different recipes, including photos with all the stuffing and sewing together procedures...
Well, i channeled Julia Child, and after a long phone call with my father for a few more tips, i went shopping to buy all the ingredients, feeling like Julia Powell from the movie Julie and Julia :)
This afternoon the rest of the family left to go to a park, so with some good music blasting i started to prepare the stuffing: challa crumbs and matza crumbs...


Onions finely chopped with the mixer...




There i am, with the smile of who knows it's a challenge and volountarily takes it upon herself...



Still smiling, chopping fresh parsley that wasn't even that expensive - a good surprise considering the average price of fresh vegetables here in the USA...



I HAD to have this picture taken, because it's sooooo Julia Child ;)



Broiling the liver, to drain out all the blood...








Onion and liver get stir fried with extra virgin olive oil...





Then i add parsley, bread crumbs, salt, poultry spices and 3 eggs...



...and here is Mr. Turkey, all stuffed and ready to go into the oven! It will take about four hours according to the recipe book, so manwhile i decided to write about my challenge...and i hope i will survive to be able to tell you that it tasted good, too!!!


Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Looks like you did an amazing job! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah! That picture of you holding that... thing! You are much braver than me.
    Did it really come with all its INSIDES?

    Hope it comes out yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!!!
    Well, it was a challenge for me to hold that thing!! I had to win my instinct to run away! And note i was wearing gloves, so that i couldn't feel the slimy texture of the skin...
    Luckily for me, it came without the insides, there was just a packet with the liver and the instructions on how to broil it...
    Right now it has been cooking for an hour and a half, and i am about to go to brush it with oil...it smells good...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts