The making of a beret...

Quite a few people have been asking me how long it takes to crochet a beret, or where do i get my yarn...
So i decided to share a few details with you :)

First of all, i started making berets when we were living in Italy, because there were no head covering stores there and could not blind shop on Internet anymore, i needed to have something that would fit me and be comfortable and pretty...
So i decided to try and make my own berets!
I made my first one one evening, with left over yarn from another project: i loved the result, so i thought why not? Let's try to make more!
I looked online for a good yarn store, and i found this shop that had very good quality yarn, made in Italy: i ordered several colors of 100% Cotton yarn, and i was very excited when i received my first yarn shipment.
I started working on new berets, and soon i had quite a few pieces to wear to match most of my outfits...and no head aches and no discomfort!

At a certain point i decided to create a website to share my work and to offer my berets on the market...that's how www.eidelmaidel.com was born.
At the same time, i created a Facebook group, and i started getting the first reviews.

Life brought us to move from Italy to the States a year ago, so while i was packing i made sure to bring with me all my yarn and hooks, figuring i would need them overseas...
...and so it was! I never stopped knitting, and when my yarn from Italy finished, i made my first trip to Joann's to replenish my stock.
At the same time, i started advertising more my berets, and thank G-d the ladies started buying my pieces: i want to thank all of you who believe in my products and buy them, you are an enormous encouragement for me!

I organized a few sales together with other ladies that have other home businesses, and we are now organizing another sale event scheduled on August 5th.
Here is the flyer:

And now, a few facts on the beret-making process:
  • Where do i get my yarn? I use yarn from Joann's, but i order some hand-dyed yarn from Etsy sellers and i import Egyptian Cotton from Ireland! 
  • How long does it take me to make one beret? Well, it depends on the thickness of the yarn, but in general it takes me between 4 and 6 hours :) lots of work to make something by hand, but totally worthy!
Why do i do it? Because i truly believe that women have to feel comfortable and beautiful in their head coverings, and i offer custom-made berets option to allow women to choose their favorite yarn, color and style :)



Comments

Popular Posts