Memories..

A few days ago we went to Giant Eagle for one of our shopping trips...i went isle to isle, the kids went to the Eagle's nest, a special room inside the store where you can leave kids to play under supervision of qualified ladies, and Alec...found this!
For the ones of you that are not familiar with this liquor, it's Slivovitz, or plum brandy.
When i saw the bottle i was so excited!
My grandfather Dante used to drink this same exact grappa with his coffee!! Same brand, same bottle!!!
Once my cousin and I made coffee pouring this instead of water in the coffee machine...the coffee came out as thick as a creamy super strong liquor, and it was enough to sniff it to get drunk...
...and it was a miracle that the coffee machine (Italian one) didn't explode on the fire!!
Anyway, it's kosher for Pesach, so i guess this will be our LeChaim ;)

 
 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. This is from Tuvia Main: My friend Daniel Grunauer drinks this on Shabbos.("That's the stuff to feed the troops!") That's how I found it. I went into a liquor store to buy some, the girl asked me the name of it. I blanked on the name but said "It comes in a round bottle." She proceeded to give me the wary look saved for certain types of customers and said "They're all round." I gave her the same look back while I replayed the conversation in my head. Something had gone south. I then held my hands like I was holding a dinner plate on edge and said "round this way, sliding my hand around the imaginary edge of an upright plate. "Oh! Slivovitz!" Although it never tastes quite as good as when I'm at Daniel's. (sigh) He and his wife made Aliyah several years back so I keep some on hand just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting!
    Yes, i can't wait to try it to revive the memories of my grandpa: he would put a few drops in his coffee, and the smell of it would pervade the room...
    Thank you for sharing this story!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts