The musical Hair - And how one night i became part of it!

This happened many many years ago, i was still in college, and my mother had read an ad about the musical Hair coming to our city's theater...
Knowing that i was (and still am) very interested in the youth movement of the Sixties and the Seventies, she bought two tickets, and we went together.
In the Sixties she was a teenager, so she remembers the scene of the time, even though in Italy things were not quite as funky as in the States...she loves the Creedence, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix etc., and she had a big collection of hippy inspired clothes, which i had taken from her closet as soon as they fit me :)
We loved the story and the songs, she looked at me embarrassed when there was the famous naked scene, but i was not surprised at all, after all i had read a bunch of books about Woodstock  with black and white pictures of the crowd...
I liked it so much that i decided to go back and watch again, this time with my friend Miriam.
I decided to wear my best pair of bell pants and a jeans shirt with some hand made embroidery, and to braid my hair, a look not too different from the one i sported every day...
We sat down i think on the third row, and started watching: all was the same as the previous time, except for one thing: at a certain point, all the actors/singers came among the public, and i saw that they were coming in my direction: my friend was looking at me, and saying "They are coming to get you!"
And i was blushing and saying "No no impossible...why would they come to me? Plus they didn't do this last time i watched this show..."
Anyway, they did come to me, two of the actors introduced themselves and invited me to follow them as they were dancing around the crowd...and i was going with them, with what  probably looked like an idiot smile on my lips, singing with them...
At the end of the song they brought me back to my seat, hugged me and went back on the stage.
I was sitting there in shock, while people around me were wondering if i was part of the show, if i was part of the musical crew :)
I went home, and the next day i read in the newspaper the article about that performance, with a description of that moment and everything...i clipped it, but then lost it in one of my changes of location. Too bad.
Anyhow, every time now somebody speaks about Hair i remember that evening and smile :)

Hair the Musical







Comments

  1. Creedence, Janis Joplin, Carole King, James Taylor, B.Dylan (ovviamente), Joan Baez... ma anche qualcosa piĆ¹ melodica come The Carpenters, BJ Thomas, Bread e poi tutti gli artisti della Motown Records; sono i suoni della casa dei miei, i suoni dei miei ricordi. E spesso li sogno di notte!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts