Nonno Dante's roasted fresh Corn

Today i went shopping and i saw that they were selling fresh corn: excited, i grabbed a bag and bought a few.
Obviously, tonight as i got hungry for dinner all i could think of was these ears of corn waiting for me on the counter top...so here i am, roasting them on the stove just like my grandpa Dante used to do...
I remember how he would come back from his bike rides in the country, holding a hemp bag full of treasures he had found: my favorite was the fresh corn he would pick on his way home, it was so fresh that a milky juice would come out of it as it roasted.
I remember myself a 5 or 6 years old girl in thick cotton socks and a polka dot dress, standing right next to him while he cleaned and cooked the corn, chattering excited with anticipation.
It took not more than 5 minutes to roast one ear of corn, and then my grandpa would break it in two pieces and give me one, smiling like a little child, happy to share with me his treat.
I miss him in moments like this, now it's my turn to break the roasted corn and share it with my big family, creating memories for my own kids to carry in their future.

Comments

Popular Posts