That Brooklyn feeling...

We are back from Brooklyn!
After spending a few hours to fix my hacked Facebook and email account, i can finally sit down to write a bit.
We had a very good time by Asher and Natasha in Sheepshead Bay, we spent Shabbat there, and we enjoyed the good atmosphere that emanated from the Shabbat table :)
I am happy whenever i can find people that are smart, and manage to balance their being fully observant with their being non-judgmental, i find that way too often observant people think that they got it all figured out, and that's were many problems start.
Only issue is: i thought that in America most people were tolerant and anti-racist, but i have to say that i must have had some kind of preconception because of my association of America and "peace and love" mentality...i am finding quite a few black people intolerants, children intolerants, etc.
Well, at least the guy that called my kids "maniacs" on the bus on our way back to NJ apologized and everybody else clapped their hands in approval, so there is hope :)
Anyway, after Shabbat we met with Alec's relatives, and i am happy to be able to be in touch with them now that we are in the USofA.

Crown Heights was another experience!
We got to our hosts and friends (thanks Aviva!) early in the morning, and we went to the Jewish Children Museum, not before stopping at the candy store to treat the kids with some yummies that they had never tasted before :)
The Museum was great, really well done, with a lot of interaction and arts and crafts, i recommend it to anybody with kids.
About 770, yes, we went there, and i must say that i had expected to be touched by visiting it after many years, but i found myself to be annoyed by the ladies asking me if it was my first time there with their patronizing smile and by the beggars asking me rudely for money and then handing me a "Moshiach Card".
I am sorry i couldn't meet with a few friends i was planning to see, it will have to planned for our next trip to Brooklyn!
We met Matisyahu on the street and we had a short chat, hope to get together with him, Tahli and the kids soon.
About sheitels: for all who ask me all the time, i am NOT going to wear one. Let's say this is my family minhag. I am still fulfilling kisui harosh completely, and if you wanna say that i am not Chabad if i don't wear a shaitel, well, then i am not :)
Just needed to clarify :)

Comments

  1. u were in sheapshead bay? i live in manhattan beach (right across the canal) wish i would have known would love to meet you IRL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are actually thinking about moving to Brooklyn, so IYH we will be able to meet! Would love to see you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I would have loved to get together had I known you were here. If you are ever in Brooklyn again, you know how to contact me online!
    Also, you look so good with your berets... I love it. No need for a sheitel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will make sure to write a public announcement on the blog if i come to Brooklyn again :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts